I love music. Mind you, I couldn’t play an instrument or sing a tune even if you paid me, but what I love the most is the different levels of emotions both music and song lyrics can evoke.
Music is a great stress reliever, and sometimes when I need inspiration for my writing, I turn to music. Here are some things that I found have helped me:-
- When having trouble facing a blank page, turn on some classical music or music from a movie.
- Listening to the lyrics of a sad song, can help with a sad scene or a romantic novel.
- Certain songs can evoke anger, which can inspire the determination to keep on writing after facing a rejection or help laugh in the face of doubters.
- Listening to music on headphones while out walking helps calm the mind and aids the imagination (just don’t forget the notebook).
- Watching music videos can help inspire things like moods, characters and themes. Gothic videos always work for me.
For my studies last year, I wrote an essay on music and politics, which ended up being one of my best essays during my 2 ½ years of study. So next time you listen to music, you’re not just relaxing, you just might be working on your next story.