As writers, we need to undertake a fair amount of research for our stories, although sometimes we can get a bit carried away. The actual writing is delayed either because we’re bogged down in research or because we’re having too much fun. Fun is certainly where I’ve been at recently!
1985 was a memorable year for me, for a couple of reasons. It was my last year in High School, where I undertook my exams for my HSC (Higher School Certificate). My future career was based upon those exams, yet I was eager to leave both high school and that particular year behind me (more about that later as it is the inspiration behind one of my YA novels).
The other reason was that towards the end of 1985, I was a bridesmaid at my eldest sister’s wedding (yes, that really is me in the photo at 18 years of age). I was free of school, free of braces and looked forward to the future!
Here are some of the events that happened around the world during 1985:-
- Live Aid concerts performed in both London and the U.S to raise money for famine relief.
- American naturalist Dian Fossey is found murdered in Rwanda.
- Amadeus wins Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
- Back to the Future opens and is the highest grossing film of the year.
- The Unabomber strikes again, and for the first time causes injury and death.
- The serial killer known as the Night Stalker is captured.
- The wreck of the Titanic is found in the North Atlantic.
- Space shuttle Atlantis takes its first flight.
- Commodore launches the Amiga personal computer.
- Nintendo Entertainment System, including Super Mario Bros is released.
- Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior is bombed and sunk by French agents in Auckland harbour.
- DNA Fingerprinting is developed in the United Kingdom.
1985 was quite an eventful year and one that began to make some technological breakthroughs.
What do you remember about 1985? Would you like to have been living in the 1980’s? Do you enjoy research? Do you feel so bogged down by research that you don’t get the writing done?
Image by Debbie Johansson.